Being hidden away for centuries in the rainforests and mountains, this place is now included in the world’s well-preserved ruins. Machu Picchu location is surely the best place to travel this year. Most of the traveller’s bucket list includes Machu Picchu for sure. The travel business of this place has become a well-grown business as it has over 1.1 million flocking visitors each year. The origin of this place remains a mystery, which gives rise to many questions—was it a city? A royal treat? A mystical site?— If you want to know more about Machu Picchu location, travel, and tours, then keep reading this article.
This article is all about what you need to know about Machu Picchu.
Where Is Machu Picchu Located?
Machu Picchu is located in Andes Mountains in Peru. It is an Incan ruin set high with an exact location of 50 miles in the Northwest of Cuzco in Peru. From the map, you will find Machu Picchu on the eastern mountain Andres, Machu Picchu is connected to the Cusco region, Aguas Calientes district, and Urubamba province. Machu Picchu is located 7,000 feet above sea level.
As the main Machu Picchu location is 7,000 feet above sea level, most travellers do not want to walk up to that height. There are two trains for travellers who do not want to hike up to the place. These trains climb up most of the way to the Incan Citadel. The names of these two trains are Peru Rail and Inca Rail. To get into Machu Picchu, you will need 3 tickets – an entrance ticket, train ticket, and bus ticket. The return bus ticket is worth $24 for adults. All the trains’ stops at Aguas Calientes, and then the buses take the travellers to the final Machu Picchu location. Buy your tickets in advance in Cusco or Aguas Calientes.
Cusco To Machu Picchu Train
If you want to buy tickets for the trains and buses, you can buy them on arrival at Aguas Calientes or Cusco. If you plan to travel to Machu Picchu in the peak months of June, July, and August, you must book your tickets in advance.
- Expedition Train: This train is the most comfortable and easy budget option. It has soft and comfortable seats along with large windows, which offers great views of the landscapes. Tea, coffee, juice, and water are served on board. The Expedition Train departs from Poroy Station and Ollantaytambo station. The total one-way cost of this train is US $55 per person.
- Vistadome Train: This train has panoramic windows by which you can watch a breathtaking view of the rolling countryside. The food served at this train varies, but you can buy tomato and cheddar sandwiches, and you can also buy oatmeal cookies. Vistadome Train departs from Poroy, Urubamba, and Ollantaytambo stations. The total one-way cost of this train is US $85 per person.
- Sacred Valley Train: This train took off from Urubamba. The total one-way cost of this train is US $190 per person. Sacred Valley Train has a bar car that runs a pisco tasting, which is considered a fun way to mingle with other tourists. Meals that are served on the train include one glass of white or red wine. Tea, coffee, and hot chocolate are also served on the train.
- The Voyager Train: This bright train has large windows, leather recliner seats, and skylights. This is a perfect budget option. The departure station of this train is Ollantaytambo. Tea and other beverages are served on this train. The total one-way cost of this train is US $65 per person.
- The 360° Train: This train has wide panoramic windows and an audio guide narration of the place. A seat in an outdoor carriage-bar in warm weather while sipping tea or pisco sour would be just perfect for you. This train departs from Poroy and Ollantaytambo. The total one-way cost of this train is US $83 per person.
- The First Class Train: This is a 60-seats luxury train. Passengers are welcomed with live music and a glass of cocktail. The tickets for this train include bus tickets to the Machu Picchu location itself. This train is departed from Ollantaytambo. The total one-way cost of this train is US $216 per person.
- The Private Train: This is an 8-seater train and has its open bar. Get excited and levelled up for Machu Picchu with the live music of local musicians of Peru. This train serves elite foods and drinks. This train also departs from Ollantaytambo. The total one-way cost of this train is US $5,500 per group.
Lima To Machu Picchu:
Machu Picchu is located 312.5 miles away from the city of Lima. You can reach theMachu Picchu location from Lima by the following options:
- You can travel from Lima to Cusco by using the Peru Hop Bus.
- You can travel from Lima to Cusco by plane.
- When you reach Cusco, take a trek to Machu Picchu via Ollantaytambo. From there you can also travel on the above-mentioned trains.
Machu Picchu Facts:
Following are some of the facts about Machu Picchu location that you need to know:
- Machu Picchu is a 15th Century Inca site located in Andes Mountains in Peru.
- The height of Machu Picchu is more than 7,000 feet above sea level.
- This site almost covers 80,000 acres.
- It is believed that Machu Picchu was built by Pachacuti Inca Yupanqui, who was the 9th ruler of Inca.
- The elite residences at the northeast sector of the Machu Picchu give the idea that it was built as a royal state of sorts.
- The Temple of the sun serves as one of the spiritual significance of Machu Picchu. It is located near the Inca emperor was believed to live before.
- The northwest side of Machu Picchu’s location has a series of religious structures. Some of them are Principal Temple, Temple of the three windows, and Intihuatana.