Scattered like pearls across the shimmering Aegean and Ionian seas, the Greek Islands’ beauty has attracted many! There’s nothing quite like spotting the shoreline from a sunny ferry deck or sailing into a vibrant port. In Greece, arriving there is a significant part of the adventure, and thankfully, Greek Island hopping is a breeze!
While the Greek Islands are beautiful throughout the year, it is best to plan your trip from April to May or September to October!
Even though Greece is famous for its laid back attitude, it is best to pre-plan. As last-minute ferry prices are higher, ferries can get booked, and the best accommodation options might get snapped up before you can book them!
Before we get to the planning of your trip, here are a few helpful tips for you! The best website for booking hotels for your Greek Island Hopping trip is Booking.com. For flights, you can use Kayak.com, and for ferry bookings, you can use FerryHopper.com. With the help of these sites, you’ll easily be able to book your own Greek Island Hopping Holiday according to your own choice and budget!
Greek Island Hopping Cruise
World-famous sites such as the Parthenon in Athens, crystal clear waters, and charming seaside tavernas are all part of a Greek Island Hopping cruise! Only 227 of the 6,000 islands in the Aegean and Ionian seas of Greece are inhabited, and some are only accessible by small cruise ships!
With so many small islands and so much to see, exploring the Greek islands, any other way is logistically demanding and very expensive. A Greek Island Hopping cruise easily lets you enjoy many isles, ports, and a variety of fascinating towns and villages!
Here is a list of the Ten best cruise lines for your Freek Island Hopping odyssey:
- Star Clippers
- Windstar Cruises
- SeaDream Yacht Club
- Variety Cruises
- Celestyal Cruises
- Azamara Club Cruises
- Seabourn Cruise Line
- Sea Cloud Cruises
- Voyages to Antiquity
You will find small, large, luxurious, all kinds of cruises in these cruise lines, with different days of traveling from 5-15 days, all depending on your choice. You can choose whichever suits your budget, the places you want to visit and the days you want to travel for! The cost of the cruises per day ranges from around $100 to more than $800 per person, depending on whether you go cheap or luxurious!
Greek Island Hopping Tours
Island Hopping Tours From Athens
Below we have selected four of the best Greek Island Hopping Tours departing from Athens, with varying budgets and itineraries:
- Day Cruise of the Saronic Islands: This full-day tour provides the visitors with a trip to three different islands, all with something unique to explore. Hydra, with its timeless fishing villages scattered up slopes, the serene forests and lemon groves of Poros, and the stunning beach of Aegina, backed by groves of pistachios and an Ancient Greek temple.
- Guided day trip to Aegina and Agistri Islands: This is for those who prefer spending less time on the boat and more time exploring the islands. Agistri is famous for its pistachios, and there will be plenty of opportunities to try out their desserts made of these. Here you can spend your time swimming, exploring the ancient ruins and relaxing at the secluded beaches!
- Hydra, Poros and Egina day cruise: In this one day tour you can explore three beautiful islands. Swim in the crystal clear waters of Hydra, admire neoclassical beach houses in Poros, and explore the pine-covered landscape of Aegina!
- Hydra Island Tour: A trip to Hydra island transports travelers back in time to an island where modern construction is prohibited, and life goes by a relaxed Mediterranean pace. Travel from Athens to Hydra via ferry and explore the beautiful streets, family-run eateries, and unique atmosphere!
Cyclades Island Hopping
The Cyclades is a group of Greek Islands southeast of the mainland in the Aegean Sea. It has around 220 islands, the major ones being Amorgos, Anafi, Andros, Antiparos, Delos, Ios, Kea, Kimolos, Kythnos, Milos, Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Folegandros, Serifos, Sifnos, Sikinos, Syros, Tinos, and Santorini.
It is quite evident that traveling to a 220 or even the significant islands will be close to impossible. Therefore, we have made it easier for you by picking out the Best Cyclades Islands to visit for Greece Island Hopping!:
Your Greek Island Hopping trip is incomplete without visiting Santorini! It is the most famous and visited island in the Cyclades. The best things to do in Santorini are:
- Enjoy the viewpoints at Fira, walk for 30 minutes from here and visit Firostefani and Imerovigli villages, where you can go to the Golden Street for their restaurants and cafes.
- Admire the beautiful sunset at Oia
- Enjoy the beautiful volcanic black sand beach
- Go on a boat trip around Nea Kameni Volcano and swim in the hot springs
- Visit the archaeological site of Akrotiri.
This is the perfect island to party in the Cyclades. You can party all day here at the concerts held by world-famous DJs! Mykonos is also famous for its beaches and no, not the peaceful kind! Going to the beach here means enjoying techno bars and jet-setters on their yachts.
It will be the best night of your Greek Island Hopping trip.
It is located in the Cyclades’ heart and famous for its many sand beaches, beautiful natural landscapes, and typical villages. The best places to visit here are:
- Parikia, the capital. The churches and the Kastro here are a must-visit.
- Naoussa, a fishing village with chic shops and restaurants.
- Paros park: here, you can walk around the three marked trails and discover the lovely view of the coast and the lighthouse and also relax at a beautiful beach with shallow water.
This is the largest island in the Cyclades, where you can enjoy many beautiful beaches and discover remote mountain villages. You can visit the mountain villages of Filoti, Halki, Apiranthos, The Kouros of Apollonas, hike to reach the summit of Mount Zeus, visit the beaches of Agiassos, Mikri Vigla, and many more! It is a must to add this to your Greek Island Hopping Itinerary!
Lastly, you can visit Ios which is known as the little sister of Mykonos. During the day you can relax, and when the night comes, you can party until sunrise in the island’s bars! You can also take a dip in the beautiful beaches of Ios, the Kalamos beach, Mylopotas beach, and the Manganari Beach.
Your beautiful trip to Greek Island Hopping will be the best time of your life! You will return with loads of Memories, experiences, stories, and only positive feedback for us! What part of the Greek island hopping tour did you find the most exciting? Let us know in the comments below!